It has been a rough week. I counted today the number of meetings on my calendar in the last three days and it was enough to scare anyone. Answer: 20 in three work days. I have another 18 left to accomplish in the next two days. Add onto to this, my little two year old has a double ear infection which led to one night of about 4 hours of sleep. This is also week two of my new workout regimen of CrossFit which is a bit intimidating just by itself.
This is what it means to have it all! Actually, I think it is more like a test of my ability to maintain my energy level. I have always prided myself in having high energy, and dedicating it to whatever I am doing. That said, the last few years have tested me beyond anything I have ever experienced. I have won some weeks and lost some weeks. This week definitely feels like it is stacking up to one that I have lost, so I thought maybe sitting down and writing down a few things that have worked in the past to rebuild my energy would maybe help me to make it a little better.
- Sleep at least 7 hours a night.
- Workout 3-4 times per week, even if it is for 20 minutes.
- Close my office door and take a deep breath at least a few times a day.
- Make a short list each morning (maximum of 1-2 things) in my head on my drive down the canyon of the things I am going to accomplish today and get them done!
- Play with my kids as much as possible and let their endless energy empower me.
- Try to learn something new every day.
- Keep at least 90 minutes of free time on my work calendar.
- Say no to involving myself in at least one things each day.
There is no secret sauce in this, but what I can tell you is that this week I am on track for only about two of these things. Maybe that is why feel like I am holding on for dear life. Let’s use this as my moment of learning for today!